Mountains are Calling - Part3

 

Mountains are Calling - Part3

Mountains are Calling - Part3

30th October 2021 - 13th November 2021

It had been more than 2 years since we had gone on a trip to the mountains. Hence we planned for this trip to the mountains. Read about how we planned for the Trip here.
Reaching Noida, from where we had to start our journey to the hills, became an ordeal in. itself. Later on 30th October we started our journey and reached Haldwani. We enjoyed our journey to Haldwani. Enjoying the way and various stoppages in between was really fun. Read all of this here.

On 31st October we rose early, quickly freshened up, had some light meals, packed the luggage on our car's overhead carriers and finally started our journey to the hills. As decided on the previous night we were taking with us both the cars, hence I was driving and was on my maiden journey to the hills.
 
One can get their car fuel tanks filled at Haldwani. Although you get petrol pumps on the way at various places but it is good idea to check on your fuel supply and get it replenished if necessary at Haldwani. Also I carried chewing gums and candies with me. I used them during the course of my journey, they helped me concentrate and not fall asleep while driving. I also saw few of the cab drivers chewing match sticks or some twigs probably to serve the same purpose of being attentive and not falling asleep. Driving through the hills was an enriching and learning experience, which I have summarized in my blog here. I feel these tips will be very handy to drivers, especially first timers, driving on the hills.

We crossed Kathgodam and started moving towards Bhimtal. Due to landslides and construction work there was a bit of a traffic jam. I saw perfect harmony and discipline in the drivers here. While waiting for their turn to cross the one way bridge they aligned themselves in a queue. We also got in the queue. The queue was on a steep slope, this was the first time I used my handbrakes. During the course of my journey I used handbrakes repeatedly at many places, I felt handbrakes are quite handy in the hills and while driving in the hills make sure that the handbrakes are working properly.
The road towards Bhimtal was in good shape. Though it was not as broad as a highway in the planes but still it was quite wide, good enough for vehicles to drive through in both the directions at any point.

One should avoid unnecessary overtaking, but when necessary do that with proper indication. People tend to give you passes when they get opportunity, so don't honk unnecessarily neither be in a hurry to give passes without proper space and placing. Sometimes it is best to ignore honks when you cannot give passes. Driving safely is of paramount importance. Don't try to catch up in speed to the local drivers; they are expert drivers and most often than not you will not be able to catch up with their speed.

After driving for around one and an half hour, you reach Bhimtal. Bhimtal is a serene place with a big Lake called the Bhimtal Lake or Bhimtal. Bhimtal is hill station surrounded by forests and is a perfect weekend getaway for tourists. People often come to Bhimtal for spending some quality time. Other than the Lake, Bhimtal has other destinations in and around the main town.
We kept driving as our destination was still very far.

After driving for some more time you cross the region of  Padampuri. It is a beautiful place. One would see a lot of green houses (also locally called as poly houses) here. As the locals told us there are many green houses built in Padampuri for cultivating various seasonal fruits, vegetables, flowers etc all round the year. The road near Padampuri was not good it was full of potholes and filth.

Conifers - Mountains are Calling - Part3
Conifers

We kept driving; we had thought we would halt for tea and lunch at Paharpani. The way was serene and full of conifers. At some points the conifers were so dense that sunlight also did not touch the ground. We crossed few seasonal water streams that flowed over the road. The road had started to be very curvaceous. I was following our relative's car so it was bit of easy for me to judge the curves and turns. The road condition was good. Finally after an hour drive we reached Paharpani. We halted at a place, a local Dhaba (Restaurant) for tea and lunch. As I remember it was the first Dhaba as you reach Paharpani. This Dhaba was favorite stoppage for our relatives as the Dhaba served Food and Tea cooked on earthen Bhattis (traditional stoves) on wood fire. The Bhattis and wood fire gives such a nice earthen smoky flavor to the meals. You would not experience such flavor in any of the top restaurants in the metros.
We enjoyed the meals over chitchat with the owner who was himself cooking. He was a young lad. He told us that he was a graduate and had failed to get through the army selection process due to short height. Now he had abandoned the thought of getting into any government job as he thought they are pretty difficult to crack without guidance and coaching, which was obviously not available in Paharpani, also his parents were old now, he being the only kid, he was supporting his father running the Dhaba. It is so fascinating to travel as along with travel you hear so many life stories.
After finishing our meals, collecting few more chewing gums & candies and after a good photo session we started moving ahead.

Now we had to drive a long distance without a break a we had to cover maximum distance in day light. We kept driving through the picturesque mountain views and via the conifers. In sometime we reached Saharphatak area. One the way you would see some traditional mountain houses with wooden walls and slanting roofs made of stone. People tend to put food items on their roofs so as to expose them to sunlight.

Traditional Mountain Houses - Mountains are Calling - Part3
Traditional Mountain Houses

It was around Shaharphatak where I faced a truck face to face. Actually the way was pretty narrow at this point. I was downhill, our relative's car was ahead of us, it crossed the truck, but by the time I was crossing it, I could not cross as the way was narrow. My car and truck was face to face. Both of us halted our vehicles. As the truck was up hill I had to give way for it to pass so I had to drive in reverse gear uphill till I reached a place where there was ample space and I could give way to the truck. I positioned my car to my left so that the truck could pass by. The truck when saw that I am giving the pass went pass. I was really impressed by the way the truck driver stood patiently while I gave way.  It was my first face to face encounter. I leaned a driving lesson that day and I also learned that unlike in the planes the truck drivers in the hills drive following all the rules & regulations and are patient drivers themselves. 

Anyways we kept driving to take a diversion as we reached Lamgara. On the diversion of Lamgara there was a sweet shop who sold the famous Bal Mithai of Almora. This shop was again a favorite shop of our relatives. We took some Bal Mithai and moved ahead. Dol Ashram is also nearby. People tend to visit the Dol Ashram as well.
Dol Ashram was established in 1990 by Shri Parma Yogi  Kalyandasji. The Ashram is a center for Meditation and Yoga. The Ashram is situated amidst thick dense Himalayan forest. The location of the Ashram makes it an ideal place for Meditation and Yoga. In the year 2018 world's biggest Shri Yantra or Shri Chakra weighing around 1600 kg was established in the Ashram.

Continue Reading: Mountains are Calling - Part4...

Mountains are Calling - Part3
Mountains are Calling


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jeolikote - A Hidden Gem

Landour - The Misty Himalayan Abode

Hemkund Sahib

Total Pageviews

My photo
Ankur Tandon
Hello World!!! I am Ankur Tandon. I am a Software Engineer with a passion to travel and explore new places. Working with industry majors like Google, PwC, TCS etc has given me the opportunity to roam around the world. I have visited around 12 countries, numerous cities and places. Here I share with you my travel experiences, and information about various places.Hopefully it will help you better plan your next trip. “Sayonara” “ Astalavista” “AU Revoir”.