Festivities of my Childhood - Part3


Festivities of my Childhood - Part3:-

Until now I gave a description of how we used to celebrate festivals as a community affair. I shared my memories of Holi during my Childhood (Read here). I talked of the fun and frolic we had during Durga Puja (Navratri) and Dussehra (Read here). In continuation I share remembrances of few more festivals.

Diwali:

Diwali is the festival of lights that is celebrated few days after Dussehra. Diwali is a festival extended for 4-5 days. Starting from Dhanteras the festivities go on till Bhai Dooj (Bhaiya Dooj).

As kids we would light candles and earthen Diyas to illuminate our house. This was the festival we as kids celebrated for a week of fortnight. As kids we would start igniting fire crackers 7-15 days in advance. Daily we would play with various kinds of fire crackers until Diwali when we lighted and exhausted all of our fire crackers. I remember us burning fire crackers, rockets anaars, charkhi, fire rail, rolls in steel pistols etc. It was so much fun. Other than burning fire crackers, as mischievous activity we would collect the fire cracker substance (which we colloquially called barood) from the fire crackers that did not burst and then burn them. It would give a big ball of fire and illuminate the whole surrounding even in sunlight. This would fascinate us all as kids. This was a festival where parents supervision was also needed as kids might burn themselves while burning crackers.

The festivities would start from Dhanteras, with the cleaning of houses. I remember the whole of the house was cleaned and whitewashed before Diwali. The old and waste goods were disposed off before Diwali. On this day people would buy utensils, gold or silver ornaments etc. Lord Dhanvantri is worshipped on this day. Houses are decorated with rangolis. Diyas are left burning the whole night on Dhanteras night in honor of Goddess Lakshmi and lord Dhanvantri.

The next day Naraka Chaturdasi (Choti Diwali) is celebrated. It is believed that on this day the demon Narakasur was killed by Lord Krishna, Satyabhama and Goddess Kali. It is day to wipe out all the dirt and garbage from the house. It is a day when people celebrate to get rid of evil and negativity. I remember my grandmother used to pour some water from a pot in the water that we used to bathe. The water was believed to be blessed with powers that would get rid of evil and negativity. 

On the next day i.e. the Diwali day, apart from burning crackers I remember we would have Lakshmi Pujan at our house. In accordance with the Thithi (calendar and time) the timing of the Pujan was also used to be pre-defined. During the Puja we would worship Goddess Lakshmi and seek her blessings. Goddess Lakshmi is the Goddess of wealth and prosperity. By worshipping her we would seek property and wealth for us and our families.

I remember sometimes on Diwali we would visit our paternal grandparents place at Bahraich. The festivities at Bahraich were of grand scale. All the family members would come together for Lakshmi Pujan followed by the session of bursting fire crackers. We would visit our relatives and extended family members to seek their blessings. I remember people used to play cards as well on Diwali.

Goverdhan Puja was celebrated after Diwali. This day is also known as Annakut. On this day devotees worship the hill Goverdhan and offer a variety of vegetarian food referred as Annakut (mountain of food). I remember in Bahraich many dishes were prepared for Annakut. I especially remember a dish that my grandmother used to prepare by mixing a lot of different kinds of vegetables. It was sheer joy to celebrate and feast. I remember craftsmen used to worship the tools and machinery on Annakut day.

Bhaiya Dooj is also celebrated after Diwali. This festival is similar to Raksha Bandhan. On this day sisters perform Arti and put a Tilak or a Tika on the foreheads of their brothers. Sisters treat their brothers with their favorite food and sweets. In return elder brothers treat their sisters with gifts and money. This festival strengthens the sweet bond between brother and sister.

Continue Reading: Festivities of my Childhood - Part4...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jeolikote - A Hidden Gem

Landour - The Misty Himalayan Abode

Hemkund Sahib

Total Pageviews

My photo
Ankur Tandon
Hello World!!! I am Ankur Tandon. I am a Software Engineer with a passion to travel and explore new places. Working with industry majors like Google, PwC, TCS etc has given me the opportunity to roam around the world. I have visited around 12 countries, numerous cities and places. Here I share with you my travel experiences, and information about various places.Hopefully it will help you better plan your next trip. “Sayonara” “ Astalavista” “AU Revoir”.